Saturday, March 10, 2012

Jean Giraud (Moebius) . 1938-2012

.


One of my favorite dream weavers disappeared. Moebius, born Jean Giraud, yielded last night after an extended illness. It was with The Incal that I discovered him, in the distant 80's, and this master piece would leave its imprint in me to this day. And how those 3 years between "Ce qui est en haut" (see my Facebook page - here also) and "La cinquième essence" seemed to never end! Dear God, publish the series finale already! And then to find out with an incredible mix of disappointment and excitement that Jodorowsky and Moebius had divided the last episode of the saga in two, "Galaxie qui Songe" and "La planète Difool". It was only volume one! Aaaargh! What an anger and, at the same time, what a magnificent thrill! The Fifth Essence would have two parts.

The adventures of class R private investigator John Difool, of his inseparable sidekick Deepo, of Animah (the adorable Alma), of Tanatah, of the merciless and tender Metabaron, of the priceless Kill Doghead (in English mistakenly known as Wolfhead) and the fantastic Solune, the perfect androgen, are all carved in my memory and are as much a part of who I am as the literature, painting, sculpture, music, cinema, photography and all the art that live in it. Ah, Art and comic books... Maybe because all those drawings came to life in my head as I absorbed them, because I gave them life and music and dimmension, because a soul had been given to them by the combined geniuses of Alejandro Jodorowsky and Jean "Moebius" Giraud, I integrated them as seemlessly and eagerly into my being as I did any other major art piece I was fortunate to read, to watch or listen to.

Moebius will forever be present in his vast work and, as each time a talent of this magnitude extingueshes itself, the longing remains for all that was left to do and that now stays somewhere beyond our reach, who knows if perhaps in the airtight garage where Jean Giraud is now sketching... I like to believe it is so.

[See this post in A Sombra]
.

No comments:

Post a Comment